2021 Can Am Ryker 900 Ryker comes from the original Can-Am Spyder which has been a part of the tricycle scene for a while. It was first launched in February 2007 by BRP Canada (Bombardier Recreational Products) headquartered in Quebec.
As of October 2007, approximately 2,500 units have been sold. As of May 2009, 12,500 Spyders (9,932 of which are sold in the United States) have been produced. And about 21 percent of its sales are for women.
In addition, about 27 percent of Spyder owners have never owned a motorcycle before! The Spyder and Ryker’s smaller designs hint at BRP’s history in snowmobiles.
2021 Can Am Ryker 900 Review
Table of Contents
The Can-Am vehicle manufacturer, Bombardier Recreational Product (BRP) together with Sea-Doo introduced its line of three-wheeled vehicles, the Spyder and the Can-Am Ryker, which are equipped with a 900 cc Rotax engine, 3-cylinder inline and liquid-cooled.
The power it produces is 82 hp at 8,000 rpm and 79.1 Nm of torque at 6,500 rpm. All this power is channeled through a CVT automatic transmission, complete with a mechanism to assist when reversing.
If you’ve been here before, you know how avid a motorcyclist I am. You may also know how open I am to all forms of wheeled motorcycles. With that in mind, I believe it’s no surprise that I’m ready to turn the throttle on the Can-Am Ryker! I tested the Spyder a few years ago at our Cayuga racetrack.
But when I jumped on Ryker, I could see the difference right away – it’s a “sport” – just like on the sportbike version of the Spyder! Right from the first throttle spin, the fun begins. I was impressed by how sharp the corners are and how well they handle downtown roads, highways, rain, and bends. Not for a moment, Ryker disinterested me!
Motorcyclists tend to compare all motorized vehicles – those with less than four wheels – to classic motorcycles. The Can-Am Ryker is kind of a motorcycle but is at an interesting crossroads.
It offers the feeling of open freedom associated with a motorcycle but at the same time the ease of use of a car. And as I’ve said when testing other three-wheeled vehicles, it’s similar but not a motorcycle – a lot of fun, but definitely – something else.
Ryker comes from the original Can-Am Spyder which has been a part of the tricycle scene for a while. It was first launched in February 2007 by BRP Canada (Bombardier Recreational Products) headquartered in Quebec.
As of October 2007, approximately 2,500 units have been sold. As of May 2009, 12,500 Spyders (9,932 of which are sold in the United States) have been produced.
And about 21 percent of its sales are for women. In addition, about 27 percent of Spyder owners have never owned a motorcycle before! The Spyder and Ryker’s smaller designs hint at BRP’s history in snowmobiles.
2021 Can Am Ryker 900 Top Speed Specs
- Seat height 23.5 inches (597 mm)
- Ground clearance 4.0 inches (102 mm)
- Dry weight 616 lb (280 kg)
- Fuel capacity (20 L) 5.28 gal Premium Unleaded Fuel Type
2021 Can Am Ryker 900 Performance:
- Maximum power claimed: 77hp @ 7100 rpm
- Claimed maximum torque: 75Nm / 56 ft/lbs @ 6300 rpm
Chassis and Running Gear
- Frame: Steel, Y . Frame
- Front suspension: Wishbone type with non-adjustable dual tube shock
- Rear suspension: Twin-tube shock, adjustable for the initial load
- Front brakes: 2 x 270 mm discs with twin-piston calipers, with ABS & parking brake
- Rear brakes: 220mm disc, single-piston calipers
- Tires: Kenda; Front: 145/60R16 (66T) Rear: 205/45R16 (77T)
2021 Can Am Ryker 900 Machine:
- Type: Rotax 900 Ace inline-3
- Capacity: 899cc
- Engine management: EFI
2021 Can Am Ryker 900 Transmission:
- Type: CVT
- Final drives: Shaft
- Clutch: Not applicable
2021 Can Am Ryker 900 Dimensions and Capacity
- Claimed weight: 280kg (dry)
- Seat height: 599mm
- Wheelbase: 1709mm
- Fuel capacity: 20L
- Rated fuel consumption: 5.2L/100km
2021 Can Am Ryker 900 Variety:
- Color: Black + Shock Yellow; can be customized.
- Test bikes supplied by: BRP Canada.
- Warranty: 24 months, unlimited kilometers.
2021 Can Am Ryker 900 Top Speed Engine
The Can-Am Ryker automatic CVT transmission provides easy operation – no manual shifting or clutch control required. Like all scooters I tested too with a CVT transmission, this allows you to stay focused on the road and pay more attention to the adventures around you.
How it works
The layout of the Ryker is the same as a traditional motorcycle with the handlebars in the front, the fuel tank in the middle, the seats in the back. But of course, you’ve got the wide front end of the two wheels.
There’s plenty of room when you get on the boat with a good fit and a secure seating feeling. As said, this is automatic operation (CVT transmission). There is no clutch lever and all braking is done with the foot pedal.
Ryker has several innovative features. It has easy-to-adjust handlebars so you can unlock, reposition, and just snap back into place. The same goes for the footpegs that can be moved forward (for longer legs) and moved backward for a shorter reach – or as I prefer, a more “sitting” position. This adjustment is done without tools!
Then we have a “clip” type button to activate everything. Unlike traditional vehicles that use regular locks and cylinders, the Ryker uses Can-Am electronic lock technology derived from side-by-side firing ranges and the company’s jet skis.
So you clamp the key into the holder, and then you go through a rather specific initial procedure. First activate the brake (foot on the brake), turn the throttle forward to activate the start, then press the start button.
This is all for safety’s sake to make sure when you hit the gas, the brakes are on and you’re not going anywhere. And if you forget something, it won’t start.
Ryker has a parking brake. It is a foot-operated gear selector so to speak use your left toe to place it in the forward or backward position. Yes, the reverse is useful in one of these units.
There are no real adjustments to the front suspension but there are adjustable shocks for your rear.
How to Drive
As with anything, the more sitting time you get, the more familiar you become with your machine. I found getting used to Ryker easy.
Driving the Ryker more is certainly more physical – but it’s easy for anyone to do. And I feel it is important to always hold the handlebars. Steering is no longer about gyroscopic inertia, like riding a motorcycle sidecar, the steering requires conscious input from the rider.
Steering at speed occurs by pulling the inner bar and leaning it in the direction of the turn. And, of course, the faster your speed travels, the more input is needed to keep the engine on track.
The same is true for narrow, sloping city bends or high-speed highway bends. When you’re in the center corner turning to exit the exit, it’s more obvious that the steering wheel is loaded.
In a straight line, it can feel jittery at times – you’ll get feedback to the handlebars from the road. You can both see and feel the two front shocks working independently of each other.
This occurs especially on rougher surfaces or within your track where there may be bumps or uneven surfaces in the right tire track and smooth left tire track. In this case, you will feel the front end dropping to the right when you ride with the two front wheels.
There’s nothing to worry about (like off-road or motocross where road feedback is natural) with but it’s best to always hold your hand.
Similarly, there is more attention needed to the road surface when traveling in the sense of “three” – three tires. Note that in the middle of your lane, where the rear tire will move, your attention will need to be on several road surfaces.
Just be aware that the two front tires are traveling on each side of the track where the rear tires die in contact with the center.
When cornering, you have to lean with Ryker to the inside of the corner. If you miscalculate your speed on a bend or turn, Ryker’s stability control ensures you don’t lift the wheel or flip the engine. Steering is fast and steers wherever you point.
- Tool-free adjustment: Footpegs and brake pedal repositioned in the “On the fly” position can be adjusted to suit your shape and riding style. The handlebars work together.
- Greener Footprint: Can-Am Ryker is designed and engineered to be environmentally friendly, so you get a more affordable vehicle with outstanding quality and a greener footprint.
- Maintenance-free: Ryker incorporates rugged and reliable driveshaft technology designed for your maintenance-free ride as smooth as possible.
Ryker is packed with rider assistance features. It has traction and stability control, and anti-lock brakes. Plus, its Vehicle Stability System provides a safe, enjoyable and confident driving experience.
- TCS Traction Control System Stability Control System.
- ABS Anti-lock Braking System.
- Digitally Encoded Security System (DESS™) anti-theft system
- HHC Hill Hold Control (You won’t back down when on an incline.
- The front and rear brakes are actuated by the same foot pedal.
- Adjustable ergonomics.
- Eco Mode and Sport Mode
- Great for passengers (Pulldown seat support, cushions, and pull-down pillion footrests are not standard with the Ryker 900 so you will need to add them at an additional cost.)
- The innovative fuel cap is located in front of the handlebar. The slide cap opens to expose the filler. The only downside here for me is that there is no lock. Anyone can open it in your absence. However, it is cleverly hidden.
- Bodywork has a wide range of options for personalization – in fact, as Can-Am boasts – thousands of options. The main method is through colored side panels, front and rear spoilers, and clip-on wheel inserts. Can-Am often releases limited edition colors. The result is, change your mood – change your colors!
- Reverse gear.
- 1-year BRP limited warranty with 1-year roadside assistance
2021 Can Am Ryker 900 Price: Can Am Ryker 900 Price
- The Ryker comes in the 900cc I tested here, and the 600cc.
- Price: MSRP Starting at: From $11,099 *Transportation and setup not included.
2021 Can-Am Ryker 900 Top Speed Overview: How Fast Can A Can Am Ryker Go
- From the city to the sand
- Designed for fun
- Especially for road conditions with additional toughness
- Thrilling ride with access to multiple playgrounds
- KYB Suspension: This allows an extra inch of suspension travel and adjustment at the rear, which provides four different compression settings to optimize your ride.
- Rally Tires: Tires adapted for all roads with higher durability and more precise response for better handling.
- Max Mounting Structure: Makes 1+1 units ready. It also increases the carrying capacity for various storage options.
- Handguards: Protects hands against rocks and other debris.
- Structural Enhancement: Provides extra protection for higher durability.
- Rally Mode: This allows you to have more flexibility and fun off the pavement by optimizing the VSS input and allowing you to perform controlled drifts.
- Type: Rotax® 900 ACE™ 3-cylinder in-line, liquid-cooled with electronic fuel injection and electronic throttle control
- Hole & step: 2.9 x 2.7 inches (74 x 69.7 mm)
- Power: 82 hp (61.1 kW) @ 8000 RPM
- Torque: 58.3 ft-lb (79.1 Nm) @ 6500 RPM
- Type: Automatic (CVT) with reverse function
- Front suspension: Double wishbone
- Front/travel shock type: KYB HPG with 6.38 in. preload adjustment. (162mm)
- Rear suspension: Multi-link – mono swing arm
- Rear shock/travel type: KYB HPG 40mm with 4-position adjustable compression damping remote reservoir and 6.89 in. preload adjustment. (175mm)
- Electronic brake distribution system: Foot-operated hydraulic 3-wheel brake
- Front brakes: 270 mm disc with 2-piston Nissin floating calipers
- Rear brakes: 220 mm disc, 1 piston floating calipers
- Parking brake: Parking lock
- Front tire: MC 145/60R16 66T
- Rear tire: MC 205/55R15 81T
- Aluminum front rim: Carbon black & Machined 5-spoke, 16 x 4.5 inches (406 x 114 mm)
- Aluminum rear rim: Carbon black & Machined 5-spoke, 15 x 6.5 inches (381 x 165 mm)
- Rider capacity: 1
- Maximum vehicle load: 449.7 lb (204 kg)
- Storage capacity: 1.85 gallons (7 L)
- Fuel capacity: 5.28 gal (20 L)
- Fuel Type: Premium unleaded
- W x W x H: 92.6 x 59.4 x 41.8 inches (2,352 x 1,509 x 1,062 mm)
- Wheelbase: 67.3 inches (1,709 mm)
- Seat height: 24.2 inches (615 mm)
- Ground clearance: 4.4 inches (112 mm)
- Dry weight: 627 lb (285 kg)
- Type: 4.5″ (11.4 cm) digital display
- Main Functions: Speedometer, tachometer, odometer, trip, clearance, engine light, fuel gauge,
- clock, ECO mode, Sport mode, and Rally mode.
- SCS: Stability Control System
- TCS: Traction Control System
- ABS: Anti-lock Braking System
- Anti-theft system: Digitally Encoded Security System (DESS™)
- HHC: Hill Hold Control
- Manufacturer’s Warranty: 1-year BRP Limited Warranty with 1-year roadside assistance
- Extended Terms of Service: BEST Terms available from 12 to 36 months with roadside assistance
- 2 halogen headlights (55-W)
- Front fender with integrated LED lights
- Dual USB ports/glove box
- Max Mounting Structure
- Reinforced Rims
- Rally Tires / Rally Seats
- Front Grill Protection
- Skid Plate
- Structural Hand Guard
- Sport mode, Eco mode, and Rally mode
2021 Can Am Ryker 900 Top Speed: How Fast Is A Can Am Ryker 900
Designed specifically for the Can-Am Ryker 900, the Learning Key is the best way for new drivers to increase speed on our 3-wheel model. Top speed is limited to 56 mph (90 km/h) while still allowing operation in Eco, Sport, and Rally modes!
The Ryker’s nature makes it attractive to all types of road users – from thrill-seekers to riders seeking stability. You will achieve the freedom that motorcycles offer and the individuality that always comes with them. Ryker certainly doesn’t fly under the radar. It attracts a lot of attention, interest, and curiosity. Everywhere I go, bikers, bikers, and the people around them are attracted.
There will be challenges with parking and home storage as it takes up as much width as your car. The same applies to parking in the city.
The VSS Vehicle Stability System which uses various technologies to monitor vehicles is a super feature that keeps every driver confident on the road.
For the tour, you will have to sort through several cargo options. There’s a small compartment in the Ryker with room for just a few essentials. And it doesn’t lock.
Ryker’s are fun and affordable! It’s packed with modern features, easy to maintain, and will provide miles of fun – city, country, or long-distance travel. Plus you can customize the color to suit your style. Just don’t expect to go unnoticed – and actually, that’s not a bad thing at all!
Visit the CAN-AM RYKER website for more details and to find your new DEALER.